Hey there, and welcome to my very first DIY tutorial! I’m very excited to share this simple, cute and cost effective gift box with you all.
So here’s a little background to this project: It’s no secret that being away from those you care about can be a struggle. Not being physically present with your loved ones, family and friends is most definitely not preferred, but I find that the silver lining is that I just have to find more creative ways to show the same gestures that would otherwise be super simple to show in person. That’s where the BOX OF SUNSHINE comes into play.
There was a period of time where someone very close to me was down, stressed and just kind of in a rut. With me being 12 hours away, I couldn’t just do the normal things to cheer them up like I would normally be able to do in person, which left me feeling kind of helpless. When you’re down and out, a text message or phone call can only do so much. That’s when I decided that I needed to find something creative to surprise them with and cheer them up in the best way I know how, without me being physically present. Like every other DIY project, I started with a Pinterest search and after hours of scrolling, I found the perfect pick-me-up gift: A BOX OF SUNSHINE!
What better way to brighten someone’s day than to literally brighten it?? lol This cute little care package is totally creative and was an unexpected surprise, because who doesn’t love getting surprise mail, packages at that?! I love this idea because it is all purpose, can be given to anyone who needs a pick-me-up, be it a bf, gf, sister, cousin, loved one away at college, a friend in mourning, mom or co-worker and best of all each box can be uniquely tailored to every personality type.
Assembling the box is very simple.
You will need:
- A shipping box (if you’re sending via mail) or a cute basket (for hand delivering)
- A variety of all things YELLOW; your basket can be themed or random. I tried to pick out fun things that they could use to relieve stress. Make your box as big or small as you like! Shipping costs, so I tried to be reasonable (#TeamBallinOnABudget)
- A handwritten note
- Yellow craft paper, tissue paper, and any other yellow decorations to pretty up your box/basket
- Assemble shipping box: Use yellow craft paper and school glue to line the inside of the box (The goal is to make the package as sunny as possible.)
- Neatly place all of the contents in the box
- Use yellow tissue paper to fill in gaps and cover the contents
- Add additional decorations (ex. wrapping in yellow tulle or cellophane paper if using a basket)
- Seal your box, address, and ship! It’s that easy!
As you can see, the possibilities of design with this box is very open-ended. My idea is just one of many. So make it your own! The box will look completely different for each person you gift it to and that’s the best part about it! But one thing is guaranteed, they will love it! They were extremely surprised and full of gratitude. It warmed my heart knowing that one of my little cheesy, quick and relatively inexpensive Pinterest projects effected them the way that it did. It’s the little things. So next time someone in your life is feeling down, for any reason, grab a box and all things yellow and deliver a little sunshine on their cloudy day.
If you’ve made a box of sunshine before, comment below letting me know how you assembled yours and the reaction of the person who received it. If you’re a first-timer, please share your experience as well! Also, try out variations of this box with other colors such as a PURPLE BOX OF POWER filled with notes of encouragement, self-help books, goal setting materials, etc. Get creative with it!
Completing this project basically just opened up the floodgates of Pinterest care package ideas for me, and I am now OBSESSED. So be on the look out for more DIY care package tutorials. Until then, have a SUNNY day! 🙂