Hey everybody! Welcome back to my blog! In this post, I will be sharing with you a recipe and how-to guide for an all natural, DIY yoga mat cleaner. This cleaner has minimal ingredients, is gentle and best of all, NON TOXIC. Let’s get started!
About 3 Christmases ago, I was gifted two beautiful, good quality yoga mats that I have used regularly over the years. However, when it comes to cleaning my mats…that’s not so regular (don’t judge). Yoga mats and workout mats can be some of the worst culprits in terms of harboring bacteria and other icky things, especially those in public spaces that are open to communal use. Lucky for me, I rarely ever use my yoga mats outside of my home, however, I definitely haven’t been the sole user and even still, my own sweat and bacteria buildup is problematic. Needless to say, it’s time for a change. This spray smells fresh, is inexpensive, effective and is yet another way to make the products in your home eco-friendly & GREEN. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- witch hazel
- distilled water
- 20-30 drops of essential oils
- spray bottle (glass preferred; but plastic is all I had on hand at the time)
Here’s how to make it:
- Combine 1 part witch hazel with 3 parts distilled water into your spray bottle
- Add essential oils of choice. I recommend using peppermint, lavender & tea tree essential oils because not only do they smell great, but they also have natural antimicrobial properties. Otherwise, use whatever suits your best!
- Cap bottle and gently shake to combine
Here’s how to use it:
- Shake bottle before each use
- Spray generously on yoga mat and wipe with a clean cloth
- Let the mat dry completely
- Flip the mat over to the other side and repeat 🙂
- Store in a cool, dark place between uses
It is ideal to clean your mat after each use, especially if it is traveling with you to public places. I also recommend making your spray in a small travel size bottle, that way you can use it at home and also easily throw it in your gym bag to use on communal mats you may come in contact with as well. It’s that simple! 🙂 Now you can continue on your fitness journey with a germ-free, fresh smelling yoga mat!
Be sure to subscribe to the blog so you don’t miss out on future posts, follow me on IG (@leangreenandeverythinginbtwn), Pinterest (@jsto1217) and share this post to all social media platforms.